CST is transforming health care delivery systems and processes to improve the safety, quality and consistency of the patient and caregiver experience.
What this means for clinicians
- Real-time electronic charting at the point of care, enabling more immediate information about a patient’s condition (e.g. symptoms of sepsis)
- Common clinical and process standards across VCH, PHSA and PHC (including workflows and integrated plans of care).
- Clinical decision support tools including reminders for preventive care, alerts about potentially dangerous situations, evidence-based clinical guidelines, condition-specific order sets and more.
- Computerized provider order entry: medications and other instructions will be entered directly into the information system and will immediately become part of the patient’s record.
- Closed loop medication management in acute care facilities: a fully electronic process to help improve patient safety by making sure each medication is prescribed and given to the right patient, in the right dose, at the right time, with the right documentation.
“The work both within professional practice and CST is closely aligned with providing the best care. Successful design and implementation of CST will decrease variability in care and lead to better patient outcomes.” – Barb Lawrie, VP Professional Practice and Chief Clinical Information Officer, VCH.