Rather than building a new clinical information system from scratch, we are working with a pre-built prototype system provided by our vendor partner Cerner that is based on global best practices.
This prototype is called the model system. Our design teams are using it as a starting point as they shape our new system to meet the needs of VCH, PHSA and PHC.
This is better than starting from scratch because:
- We can see our work as we go during the design/configuration/validation phase of the project.
- We can provide physicians and staff hands-on demonstrations of the system as it is being built, allowing us to incorporate feedback early in the process.
- We can use existing features of the model system, instead of re-inventing the wheel.
- This approach helps us to adopt widely accepted best practice workflows.
- We can make more judicious and efficient use of everyone’s time.