On April 28, Lions Gate Hospital and at Squamish General Hospital switched from using paper-based charts to an electronic patient record.
This change is part of the Clinical & Systems Transformation (CST) project, a multi-year initiative to improve the safety, quality and consistency of patient care across Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH), the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) and Providence Health Care (PHC). LGH and SGH are the first of about 40 acute care sites that will adopt a new, shared computer system that will replace existing, aging systems. Patient and families can still expect quality care during this transition.
Some of the changes patients will see include:
- Extra support staff on hand
- New devices, like computers on wheels
- Barcode scanners being used to help safely manage your medications
Expected benefits include:
- Care teams with real-time access to the information they need
- Less time repeating information or undergoing duplicate tests
- Safer medication management process
- Faster access to lab results and medication therapies
Watch “The Future of Clinical Care: Mark’s Patient Journey” to see what health care will look like in the not-too-distant future.
If you have any questions, please email us at info@CSTproject.ca.